If you perform renovations, repairs, or painting (RRP), that will disturb painted surfaces in pre-1978 housing or child-occupied facilities in Chicago or Illinois, you must be trained and certified as an EPA Lead Renovator. In order to avoid fines and properly work in older homes, you must also work for a company that is registered with the EPA as a Lead-Safe Certified Firm - this includes Sole Proprietors!

Chicago, and the greater state of Illinois, follows the federal Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting Rule, which is overseen by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Because Illinois is an EPA-run state, you will also be able to work in other such states including Indiana, Missouri, and Kentucky without any additional training or paperwork! However, should you wish to work in Iowa or Wisconsin there are other steps that need to be completed:

  1. Iowa - Recognizes the 8-hour initial training from all EPA and EPA-Authorized state training providers. In order for this cert to be recognized in Iowa, however, the student must have received an 80% or better on the course final exam. Contact the Iowa DPH, Bureau of Lead Poisoning Prevention at 1-800-972-2026 for a reciprocity application.
  2. Wisconsin - Recognizes recognizes the 8-hour initial training from EPA accredited training providers if completed in the past 4 years; a $25 additional fee is required for the reciprocity section located on normal individual app.

What are the steps to become a Lead Renovator in Chicago or Illinois?

  1. Register for a 1-day, 8-hour EPA Lead Renovator class in Illinois with our simple online registration.
  2. Submit an online application to the EPA to get your company registered - this is required separately from the training class, so don’t forget this step! EPA will email you your Firm Certificate in 2-3 weeks.
  3. Attend the 1-day Lead Renovator Initial class and pass a 25 question test in class. Your training provider will issue you your Lead Renovator Certificate.
  4. Keep both certificates on file & set a reminder to renew in 5 years!

What kinds of projects in Chicago or Illinois require this certification?

The RRP Rule applies if:

  1. The property is built before 1978 and is classified as housing or a child-occupied facility (daycares, schools, etc)
  2. And you will be disturbing:
    1. 6 square feet or more of an interior painted surface AND/OR
    2. 20 square feet or more of an exterior painted surface
  3. Or will be replacing windows

What if I need Lead RRP Refresher training?

We also offer Lead Renovator Refresher training, with locations throughout Illinois and in Chicago. We also offer an Online Refresher course, which can be completed from the comfort of your own home! This class is only for those individuals who have already completed the 8-hour course previously, and can only be taken if your training certificate is NOT expired yet. The refresher course is required within 5 years of your initial training course.

Expand your business!

You will most likely bid on a project with a pre-1978 home or child occupied facility in the near future, so you will need to be licensed by the EPA. It’s a quick process and legitimately helps keep your community safe!

Top trainers in Chicago and throughout Illinois.

If you see a Lead RRP trainer on this website, you can guarantee they are EPA Accredited, and their courses certify renovators to perform lead-safe work throughout the state. Visit the Frequently Asked Questions Page for full details on the EPA's lead renovator rules or contact customer support on this page.

Lead Certification Training

EPA Lead Certification is required for any renovation that disturbs more than 6 square feet of interior or 20 square feet of exterior lead paint in residential or child-occupied facilities built before 1978. Failure to comply puts you at risk to be fined by the EPA & Local Government.